- Limited-edition 2008 Ford Expedition Funkmaster Flex Edition set to arrive in dealerships in the fall of 2007.
- Funkmaster Flex breaks barriers to become one of the first African American and hip hop artists in history to have a mass-produced production vehicle.
- Funkmaster Flex Edition features custom two-tone paint, a complete 3d Carbon body kit and custom interior.
Ford and DJ Funkmaster Flex, the hip hop guru of car customization, are turning the Funkmaster's red hot Ford Expedition concept into a limited-edition production SUV. The stylized version of the full-sized SUV, dubbed the 2008 Ford Expedition Funkmaster Flex Edition, will hit Ford dealer showrooms later this fall.
In launching the Funkmaster Flex Edition, Ford is positioning itself for continued growth in the vehicle personalization marketplace with an expressive SUV that doesn't lose any of its Expedition authenticity, but highlights its style and presence.
"Once Ford and I finished the concept Expedition, we knew we had something serious! It was poppin'!" said Funkmaster Flex. "We then started showing it at auto shows, to dealers and to my fans and realized we hit on some themes that we could turn into a limited-edition production ride."
"Funkmaster Flex is finding ways to connect with new customers," said Barry Engle, general manager, Ford Division Marketing. "He is a perfect fit for the Ford brand because he brings so much energy and enthusiasm to the table. He knows what customers want and he can really deliver." Ford research shows that nearly half of all new-vehicle buyers are adding unique touches to their vehicles and Expedition is no exception. Modifications to the Expedition are as diverse as the needs of buyers - from adding additional off-road capability, to custom cargo storage, to adding touches for increased urban street appeal. Funkmaster Flex, a major influence in hip hop culture, has developed a young fan base of urban automotive enthusiasts who take pride in their personal style. Their vehicle often defines their lifestyle. Ford wants to reach these buyers with this new customized Expedition. Last year, Ford opened its Dearborn design studio doors to Funkmaster Flex to look at how to customize the new Expedition. Flex went to work with Ford designers to create an expressive concept that delivered the Expedition's SUV authenticity with a unique urban style and presence.
The limited-edition run of Expedition Funkmaster Flex Edition, based of the existing short wheelbase, Limited model, will arrive at dealerships in the fall of 2007.
2008 Ford Expedition Funkmaster Flex Edition Funkmaster Flex has strong opinions on customizing vehicles. Here, he shares some these thoughts and describes the new Expedition Funkmaster Felx Edition.
- Step one is a custom paint job. "The scheme developed shouldn't be too busy or overloaded with color. You want to make a statement at a stop light with no overkill! Two-tone paint works best," says Flex. For his Expedition, he chose a two-tone Colorado Red and Black paint scheme with Orange pinstriping. The two-tone goes up and over the A-pillar into the power dome hood so that they don't distract from the most expressive part of the new Expedition, its front grille.
- "Quality body kits are essential to any customization," says Flex. "They need to be expressive and distinctive without compromising drivability." Funkmaster Flex and Ford Design called upon Ford's longtime partner 3d Carbon in Newport Beach, Calif. to develop a complete body kit for the Expedition. 3d Carbon currently provides official Ford licensed body kit for the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ. The kit on the Expedition features an expressive custom front fascia with integrated fog lamps, side skirts, rear fascia and trailer hitch cover. The traditional roof rack has been removed.
- Exterior personal touches are a must. "Make sure to add anything that you like as long as it's not gaudy. Get guidance from experts with these additions. Trust their advice. Chrome accents and custom badges can really define a vehicle," says Flex. The Expedition features custom Funkmaster Flex FMF chrome badges that accent the 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels.
- "The interior needs to continue the theme of the exterior," says Flex. A matching Colorado Red center console bezel, shifter and switch bezels highlight the cabin. The seats feature appointed quad captain black leather skins with red-stitching and FMF red logo headrests. A red-stitch steering wheel and armrest center console accent the seats. FMF floormats rounds out the package. As an added touch, each Expedition will feature an exclusive numbered dash plaque signed by Funkmaster Flex.
- Make sure the vehicle has all the options and a strong sound system. Based on the Expedition Limited, the Expedition Funkmaster Flex Edition is available with the same interior standard and optional features. They include a standard 340-Watt Audiophile® Sound System, MP3 player audio input jack, Powerfold™ third-row seat, heat and cooled front seats and optional navigation system, power liftgate, air suspension and rear-seat DVD entertainment system.
Ford Expedition Funkmaster Flex Edition Highlights
# 3d Carbon body kit with custom front/rear fascia and side skirts
# Two-tone Black and Colorado Red paint with Orange pinstriping
# Funkmaster Flex badges on fenders
# Trailer hitch cover
# SIRIUS™ Satellite Radio
# 2nd row captain's chairs Interior
# Black leather interior with contrasting Colorado red stitching
# Colorado red shifter, center stack and door appliques/bezels
# Funkmaster Flex stitched logo headrests
# Limited-edition Funkmaster Flex numbered dash plaque
# 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels
About Funkmaster Flex
A New York City native, Funkmaster Flex is synonymous with hip hop. For over a decade, he has reigned as America's #1 Hip Hop personality, reaching more than two million listeners a week through his popular radio show. His production talents and artist relationships have earned him five gold records for major-label mix albums.
Funkmaster Flex has successfully connected his hip hop celebrity status to the auto industry to become a guru of car customization culture. Through his high-profile custom-car club, Team Baurtwell, Flex has customized cars for attention-drawing personalities like Sean Diddy Combs, Shaquille O'Neal and Orange County Choppers. Currently, Flex features these celebrities and their cars on his hit television series "All Muscle with Funkmaster Flex" airing on ESPN2. Now in its sixth year, his nine-city "Custom Car and Bike Show" keeps him constantly connected with the latest trends and styles happening in the automotive industry.
In 2005, Ford Motor Company started a relationship with Funkmaster Flex. He is currently focused on reinventing Ford's American car customization culture for an all-new urban enthusiast. To date, he has customized over 15 vehicles for Ford. At the 2005 Ford SEMA show press conference, Flex stole the show with a tuned Ford Fusion wearing a 3d Carbon body kit. His customized Ford Fusion and F-150 were featured attractions on his car show tour.
Flex also played important roles at the 2007 North American International Auto Show and the 2007 New York Auto Show International. Most recently, he made a cameo appearance in Ford's latest Fusion television and Edge radio commercials. In May, Ford will become the official sponsor of the reality television series "Car Wars with Funkmaster Flex," airing on ESPN2 and will feature Flex in a new television ad for the Ford Expedition.
|Latest||Cars & News|
|2018 Buick Enclave review|
|2017 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty review|
|2015 Audi A8 L Chauffeur review|
|2015 McLaren P1 by MSO review|
|2015 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe review|
|2020 Porsche Macan GTS comes to fill Macan S and Macan Turbo range|
|Suzuki Jimny is set to get competition from Jeep|
|Toyota Highlander will be available in petrol only or hybrid powertrain|
|Skoda Rapid facelift was unveiled in Russia|
|McLaren 620R is the limited edition street version of the 570S GT4|