Saab introduced the 9-3 Convertible as a symbol of the leading position it has in the premium convertible segment for more than 20 years now. The model has a level of structural integrity, build quality and running refinement that places it at a very top of its class. The carmaker offers the possibility to choose from three engine types: gasoline, diesel or bio-ethanol. All are 2.8-liter V6 turbocharged engines that are capable of producing 255 horsepower and 400 Nm of torque. Saab products always obtain good results in real-life safety surveys and the 9-2 Convertible does not stay behind. It features two-stage side airbags, separate chambers for thorax and head protection and it features Active Head Restraints that offers protection against neck injury for front seat occupants in event of rear end impact.
The 9-3 Convertible confirms Saab`s leading position in the premium convertible segment and is the product of more than 20 years` experience in designing four-seater, four season soft tops that are as practical as they are stylish.
The Saab Convertible has a level of structural integrity, build quality and running refinement that places it at the very top of its class. Innovative product features further develop the Saab concept that an open-top car should be `more than a Convertible` by offering effective all-year-round transport. In addition to its functional qualities, the Convertible also offers strong driving appeal through sharing the excellent chassis dynamics of the 9-3 range.
The extensive engine line-up incorporates a `tri-fuel` choice of gasoline, diesel or bioethanol (E85) powered engines. It is led by an all-aluminum 2.8-liter V6 turbocharged engine rated at 255 hp (188 kW); a powerful two-stage turbo diesel packing 400 Nm of torque and a choice of two Saab BioPower (E85) flex-fuel engines.
The 9-3 Convertible retains the sporty handling characteristics of the Sport Sedan. The rigid body structure provides a solid foundation for suspension systems with impressively low levels of noise, vibration and harshness.
• `ReAxs` passive rear wheel steer characteristic. The kinematics of the rear suspension are tuned for a unique rear wheel steer response for optimum handling and stability.
• Four-link independent rear suspension. High lateral stiffness for stability and grip; longitudinal compliance for ride comfort.
• Front suspension by MacPherson struts with lower A-arms mounted on a hydroformed (hollow), sub-frame. High lateral bushing stiffness for good steering response and precision; high longitudinal compliance for ride comfort.
• Low mounted steering rack gives excellent feel and precision with progressive power assistance and fast responses.
• Mechanical Brake Assist (MBA). Automatically boosts braking pressure when driver presses hard on pedal, reducing stopping distance. Standard fitment.
• Advanced chassis electronic systems. Saab-tuned `user friendly` ESP® (Electronic Stability Program). EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), CBC (Cornering Brake Control) and TCS (Traction Control System) all standard features.
• Minimized unsprung weight for better ride comfort. Hub carriers, brake calipers, lower control arms in the front suspension and the toe and lower links in the rear suspension made of aluminum.
Body Structure and Systems
The 9-3 Convertible was developed in tandem with Sport Sedan, ensuring all the special structural requirements for an open top car could be accommodated from the outset of design work. Structural integrity and build quality positions it at the very top of its class.
• Excellent torsional rigidity (11,500 Nm/degree), despite the absence of a fixed roof, contributes to excellent running refinement, stiff suspension mountings and a strong safety structure.
• Second `supplementary` chassis. To compensate for absence of fixed roof, torsional stiffness raised by completely integrated, additional strengthening system, linking front, rear and side structures.
• High and ultra high strength steel widely used, accounting for about 60 per cent of the Convertible`s body weight.
• Reinforced A-pillars and windshield header rail able to withstand loading 2.2 times greater than weight of the car.
• Low speed impact resistance. `Self-repairing` bumpers and deformable crash boxes provide bodywork protection in impacts up to 15 kph, minimizing accident repair bills.
Fine chassis dynamics are complemented by outstanding driveability and refinement from the all-turbo powertrain line-up, which includes 2.8V6 and 2.0-liter four cylinder turbo gasoline engines, a powerful diesel with two-stage turbocharging two Saab BioPower variants. All notable for typically strong, mid-range torque characteristics.
• All-aluminum 2.8-liter turbo engine. The first six cylinder unit to be purpose-built for Saab`s turbocharged application. Offering 255 hp (188 kW), it combines multi-cylinder refinement with outstanding turbo performance. Single twin-scroll turbocharger fed by both cylinder banks.
• All-aluminium 2.0-liter turbo engines. Saab developed and tuned for 150 (110 kW), 175 (129 kW) and 210 hp (147 kW) with high torque for swift overtaking. All internal components unique to Saab. Balancer shafts for greater running refinement.
• 1.9TTiD engine with two-stage turbocharging develops 180 hp (132 kW) and exceptional torque of 400 Nm with two turbos integrated as a single unit and common rail, direct and multiple fuel injection. A 150 hp (110 kW) version with a single VNT turbocharger also offered. . A maintenance-free particulate filter is .fitted as standard.
• Choice of two BioPower engines givemore power and torque when running on E85 fuel. Saab BioPower unique in offering flex-fuel engines with enhanced performance, as well as reduced fossil CO2 emissions.
• Wide transmission choice. Uprated five and six-speed manual gearboxes, with six-speed units standard for 2.8V6, 210 hp/155 kW and 175 hp/ 129 kW turbos and both turbo diesels.. Five-speed, adaptive automatic transmission with Saab Sentronic manual gear selection and optional steering wheel controls. Six-speed units offered with the 2.8V6 turbo and turbo diesels.
Saab products consistently show well in real-life safety surveys, and the 9-3 Convertible joins 9-3 Sport Sedan in achieving a maximum five star EuroNCAP crash safety rating test study. The 9-3 Convertible meets the same crash performance targets as the sedan.
• Crash testing based on `real life` research. Test and simulation configurations developed from Saab database covering more than 6,100 real-life road collisions involving Saab cars on Swedish roads.
• Wide range of crash test configurations used in development of body structure and restraint systems for 9-3 range, including eight different types of rollover test for the Convertible.
• `DynaCage` rollover protection includes pop-up rear roll bars, strengthened A-pillars, sills and automatic seat-belt pre-tensioning
• Fully integrated front seat-belts mounted entirely to frame of seat. Optimized belt geometry regardless of seat position, also more comfortable to use.
• Saab Active Head Restraints (SAHR). Protection against neck injury for front seat occupants in event of rear end impact. Automatic re-setting.
• Adaptive front airbags. More occupant-friendly deployment according to impact severity, seat position and seat-belt usage status.
• Two-stage side airbags. Separate chambers for thorax and head protection. Mounted in outer edge of front seat-back for optimal deployment irrespective of seat position.
Tags: 2008, 2008 Saab 9-3, 2008Saab9-3, Saab 9-3, Saab 9-3 Convertible, Saab 9-3 Sedan, Saab 9-3 SportCombi, Saab9-3, Saab9-3Convertible, Saab9-3Sedan, Saab9-3Sportcombi
|Latest||Cars & News|
|2018 Buick Enclave review|
|2017 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty review|
|2015 Audi A8 L Chauffeur review|
|2015 McLaren P1 by MSO review|
|2015 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe review|
|2020 Porsche Macan GTS comes to fill Macan S and Macan Turbo range|
|Suzuki Jimny is set to get competition from Jeep|
|Toyota Highlander will be available in petrol only or hybrid powertrain|
|Skoda Rapid facelift was unveiled in Russia|
|McLaren 620R is the limited edition street version of the 570S GT4|