Dodge Journey was revealed at the 2007 International Motor Show in Frankfurt. It offers versatility, safety, protection for the children, loads of storage, but also weather driving capability and seating flexibility. The designers tried to answer the needs of the global passenger car market, but also the needs of individual drivers and this is how the idea for the Dodge Journey was born. When it comes to safety elements you must know the model has driver and passenger air bags, front-seat-mounted side air bags, standard four-wheel disk, anti-lock brakes and, so on. The exterior is very powerful because of the styling cues that make the connection to an SUV. The carmaker offers different variants when it comes to the engine so that it meets the needs of the diverse mid-size crossover buyer. These are: a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder World Engine, a Flexible Fuel Vehicle 2.7-liter V6, a 3.5-liter V6 matted to a 6-speed automatic transaxle and a 2.0-liter turbo diesel.
All-new Dodge Journey revealed at 2007 International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt
• Something for any journey: segment-defining crossover delivers versatility, safety, child friendliness, loads of storage, cargo and seating flexibility, as well as all-weather driving capability
• With a bold, sporty design, new fun-to-drive Journey continues Dodge brand`s global expansion
Dodge designers and engineers have answered the needs of the global passenger car market, as well as the needs of individual drivers, and delivered the all-new Dodge Journey: a global vehicle that meets life`s changing demands by offering a unique combination of versatility and flexibility in a sporty, sexy package. This all-new vehicle takes the practicality of a minivan, the capability of a sport-utility vehicle (SUV) and the overall efficiency of a passenger car and blends all the best attributes of each into an all-new "right-sized" crossover for the Dodge brand.
"The all-new Dodge Journey gives our customers the entire package," said Michael Manley, Executive Vice President - International Sales, Marketing and Business Development, Chrysler. "With its unique combination of purposeful versatility and bold, youthful styling, this new vehicle from Dodge delivers safety, quality and reliability at a great value. Journey also blends innovative technology, entertainment features and useful storage, all wrapped together with an attitude that can only be Dodge."
The Dodge Journey is built on the company`s global D-segment platform and is designed to meet the needs of customers ranging from young singles, couples and families with small children to mature families who want the flexibility to do more in terms of seating people or storing gear. Clever, flexible seating and storage combinations include standard five-passenger seating with spacious cargo room and available 5+2 seating, for times when additional passengers are along on the journey. Spacious storage bins, hidden in the floor and under the front passenger seat cushion, combined with a variety of fuel-efficient and powerful powertrain options, make Dodge Journey flexible, functional and fun-to-drive.
Safety also is at the top of mind for customers, and the Dodge Journey delivers with standard multi-stage front driver and passenger air bags, front-seat-mounted side air bags, three-row side-curtain air bags, standard four-wheel disc anti-lock brakes (ABS), standard Electronic Stability Program (ESP), standard Electronic Roll Mitigation, an available back-up camera and available all-wheel drive (AWD) in the United States and Canada.
The 2009 model-year Dodge Journey will be available in U.S. dealerships with both five-passenger and available 5+2 seating in SE, SXT and R/T models in the first quarter of 2008 and in global volume markets outside North America in both left-hand and right-hand drive, starting in mid-2008.
Bold, Powerful Proportions with Edgy Lines Evoke SUV Capability
Journey is unmistakably Dodge, with powerful, muscular exterior styling cues that evoke the capable look associated with SUVs.
"The Journey combines the bold attitude of Dodge with excellent interior versatility designed to satisfy buyers` rapidly changing demands," said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President - Design. "Journey is the perfect right-sized vehicle for people who want the prestige of an SUV, but need the functionality and utility of a minivan."
From the front, the signature Dodge crosshair chrome grille with the Dodge Ram`s head stamped in the center hammers home the Dodge brand message that Journey is bold, powerful and capable. Modern-looking quad halogen headlamps provide excellent road lighting. Available fascia-mounted fog lamps strengthen the contemporary look and help boost visibility during bad weather. Body-color fascias provide a monochromatic look that neatly frames the chrome crosshair grille and headlamps.
Dodge Journey boasts available 19-inch wheels and tires, which set it apart from the rest of the crossover pack. From the side view, Dodge Journey`s horizontal aluminum hood, long daylight opening and low-gloss black appliqués on the B- and C-pillars give the appearance of a long greenhouse. Sculpted wheel arches emphasize Journey`s sporty, athletic appearance. Dodge Journey`s beltline is more angled in front, but less so toward the rear, mimicking the top of the tail lamp shape, which makes it easier for rear-seat passengers to see out the windows -- a bonus for pint-sized passengers. An available high-contrast black roof rack with buffed stainless steel roof rails adds capability and completes Journey`s side view.
The Dodge Journey`s rear view elicits as much excitement as the front. The Journey`s single piece, lightweight liftgate includes an integrated spoiler that delivers improved aerodynamics. An LED center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is mounted in the liftgate header above the glass. Like the integrated spoiler above it, the outer surface of the CHMSL is styled for aerodynamics. Four-piece jeweled red tail lamps span the width of both the liftgate and the body and feature unique curves that give the Journey added style and sportiness. The rear glass on the liftgate`s lower edge follows the curvature of the tail lamps to improve visibility through the rear window. Extra shimmer that adds gleam to the Journey`s performance capability comes from the chrome-tipped dual exhausts, which are standard with the available 3.5-liter V-6 engine in North America.
The Dodge Journey adapts the company`s D-segment architecture also used on the 2008 model-year Dodge Avenger. However, Journey`s 113.8-inch (2890 mm) wheelbase is 4.9 in. (124 mm) longer than Avenger`s to accommodate its available 5+2 seating and additional cargo space.
Dodge Journey will be available in Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat, Light Sandstone Metallic Clear Coat, Melbourne Green Pearl Coat, Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat, Silver Steel Metallic Clear Coat, Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat and Stone White Clear Coat.
Innovative, Clever Features Deliver Flexibility
Many of Dodge Journey`s innovative and clever features are designed to be easily operated. Journey`s many user-friendly features include:
• MyGIG™ cutting-edge multimedia audio and entertainment system
• Available ParkView™ Rear Backup Camera displays the view behind the vehicle in the navigation display when backing up or parking
• Available Full-color, GPS Map Navigation System with 7-inch (17.8 cm) display provides convenient directions and traffic alerts
• Chill Zone™ cooled beverage storage bin located in the glove box helps keep two cooled 12-oz. (330 ml) cans cool through the air conditioning system or fresh air inlet
• YES Essentials Premium Cloth Seats are stain resistant, odor resistant and anti static for easy cleaning and a long-lasting appearance
• Available Aimable LED Map/Reading Lamps provide focused light without distracting the driver
• Available Removable, Rechargeable LED Flashlight is stored in the rear cargo area for convenient light when needed
• Illuminated Cup Holders glow blue green for easy nighttime access
• Available Rear-seat Entertainment System includes an 8-inch (20.3 cm) color monitor that works with the radio DVD player. The display conveniently folds down from the headliner to entertain rear seat passengers
• Available 115-volt, 150-watt Power Inverter on the rear of the console powers small household appliances (available in North America)
• Available SIRIUS™ Digital Satellite Radio offers a variety of subscription-based radio programs and music for enhanced listening enjoyment (available in North America)
• Available UConnect™ provides convenient, hands-free communication with BlueTooth™ cellular phones
• Four 12-volt Power Points for powering small electronics. Two are in the front, one is in the second row and one is in the cargo area
• Available Remote Start starts a secured vehicle with the key fob for added convenience (available in North America)
Seating and Storage
• Standard Five-passenger Seating with Available 5+2 Seating provides flexible seating and cargo capability
• Available Occasional Use, 5+2, 50/50-split Third-row Seat with Recline feature folds flat for added cargo space when not in use
• 90-degree Rear Door Openings make it easier to load and install child safety seats and provides access the available 5+2 seating
• Fold-flat Front Seat with Flip `N Stow provides storage under the seat cushion and a table-like surface when folded flat for added cargo flexibility. The seat cushion flips forward to reveal a 10.75 x 8.75-inch (273 x 222 mm) bin. The cushion can remain in the forward position to prevent items from sliding onto the floor
• Two Second-row In-floor Storage Bins located in the floor behind the front row seats are designed to hold 12, 12-oz. (330 ml) cans plus ice or other items conveniently out of sight. The bins feature latching lids and removable, washable liners for added convenience
• Stadium Tip `N Slide Seat provides easy entry to the third row with one-hand, one-motion operation
• Tri-fold Load Floor located behind the second-row seats provides a hidden storage compartment for added utility. The load floor is reversible and configures into a "grocery bag" position. The primary side of the folding panel is carpeted for durability
• Rear In-floor Storage Bin for 5+2 Passenger Vehicles includes a hidden storage bin behind the third-row seat. For added utility, a door in the bottom of the bin provides access to the tool and jack storage compartment
• Child Presentation Feature allows the driver to attend to a small child in the second-row seat when the vehicle is stationary
• Available Child Booster Seats for children 4 foot 9 inches (1.45 m) tall and between 48 lbs. (22 kg) and 85 lbs. (39 kg), raises the child into the adult belted zone
• Activity Center in second row seatback folds forward to provide two cup holders and a bin for storage of small electronics, snacks, crayons or other small items
• Sunglass Bin with Child Observation Mirror features convex glass for a wide field of view that allows the driver and front passenger to conveniently view the rear occupants
• Sliding Center Arm Rest moves forward 3 inches (76 mm) for driver comfort
• Available Heated Front Seats with Leather or Premium Cloth enhance the comfort of the driver and front passenger (segment exclusive in North America)
• Molded Map Pockets with Bottle Holders in all four doors enhance storage and convenience
Powertrains Provide Efficiency, Flexibility, Fun-to-drive Factor
The front-wheel-drive Dodge Journey features a four-wheel independent front suspension with MacPherson struts and a multi-link rear suspension. Front and rear suspension crossmembers are isolated to the body to create a quiet ride, with less road noise, vibration and harshness. AWD is available on Dodge Journey models sold in the United States and Canada on vehicles equipped with the 3.5-liter V-6 engine. Four-wheel disc brakes are standard.
Dodge Journey features several different engine/transaxle combinations designed to meet the needs of the diverse mid-size crossover buyer. These include a fuel-efficient 2.4-liter four-cylinder World Engine, a Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV) 2.7-liter V-6 engine that can run on E-85, an available 3.5-liter V-6 engine coupled with a six-speed automatic transaxle with Auto Stick for the United States and Canada and a 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine equipped with a six-speed manual or automatic transaxle for markets outside North America.
Dodge Journey`s standard 2.4-liter World Engine provides an estimated fuel economy of 19 miles per gallon (mpg) in the city and 25 mpg on the highway (approximately 9 liters per 100 km on the European combined cycle), as well as solid, quiet performance. Journey`s 2.4-liter World Engine is coupled with a standard four-speed automatic transaxle in the United States and Canada, as well as a five-speed manual transaxle in most markets outside North America. It features dual variable valve timing, intake manifold flow control valves, acoustic cylinder head covers, dual counter-rotating balance shafts and an acoustic oil pan. Mated to a four-speed automatic transaxle, this engine produces 173 horsepower (129 kW) and 166 lb.-ft. (225 N•m) of torque.
Dodge Journey also features an available 2.7-liter V-6 engine, coupled with a four-speed automatic transaxle that is offered as an FFV in North America. The flex-fuel engine produces 186 horsepower (138 kW) and 191 lb.-ft. (259 N•m) of torque and delivers an estimated 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway (approximately 10 liters per 100 km on the European combined cycle). The Journey`s 2.7-liter engine with flexible fuel capability has the ability to operate effectively on any blend of gasoline and fuel-grade ethanol up to E-85. Outside North America, this 2.7-liter V-6 engine is coupled with a six-speed automatic transaxle.
Dodge Journey R/T and R/T AWD vehicles available in the United States and Canada feature a standard 3.5-liter V-6 engine that produces 235 horsepower (175 kW) and 232 lb.-ft. (315 N•m) of torque coupled with a six-speed automatic transaxle that comes standard with Auto Stick. This engine delivers an estimated 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. This 3.5-liter V-6 engine also is available on SXT models sold in the United States and Canada. The combination of the 3.5-liter V-6 engine coupled with the six-speed automatic transaxle delivers excellent performance and fuel efficiency, as well as quiet operation.
In markets outside North America, Dodge Journey offers a modern 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine available with a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transaxle. This 16-valve diesel engine is a state-of-the-art direct-injection power plant with high-pressure fuel injection, a variable geometry turbocharger and four valves per cylinder. The injectors are electronically controlled for high power and torque output and optimal fuel efficiency. Maximum power is 140 horsepower DIN (103 kW), and peak torque is 229 lb.-ft. (310 N•m). The engine is expected to deliver excellent overall performance and fuel economy of under 7 liters per 100 km (European combined cycle). A diesel particulate filter is standard from the factory.
Six-speed Transaxle Provides Quick Acceleration, Quiet Ride
The 2009 model-year Dodge Journey R/T and R/T AWD models available in the United States and Canada, as well as 2.7-liter models sold outside North America, feature a standard six-speed automatic transaxle, which provides quicker standing-start acceleration than a four- or five-speed transaxle because of a numerically higher first-gear ratio. A more robust differential with increased torque capacity enhances launch performance by requiring less torque management, electronically limiting the torque that is available during the initial stages of standing-start acceleration. Smaller steps between ratios also make for a smoother, quieter ride, as the engine speed doesn`t change as much with each shift. In addition, more ratio choices, more appropriate ratios for quicker acceleration and a lower overall top gear ratio provide a quiet ride and improved fuel economy at highway speeds.
Dual-clutch Transaxle Technology Delivers Quick Acceleration, Refined Shift Quality and Improved Fuel Economy
The all-new Dodge Journey will be available with a new dual-clutch transaxle in markets outside of North America. This is the first application of this six-speed automatic transaxle, and it will be available with the 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine. It is expected to deliver a fuel economy improvement of as much as six percent compared with a conventional four-speed automatic transaxle.
Developed in partnership with Getrag, the new transaxle is equipped with two independent lay-shaft style gear sets with separate clutches, that use manual transaxle-based components. During shifts, the next gear is anticipated and pre-selected. One clutch is then opened while the other is closed, allowing shifting without torque interruption. The result is quicker acceleration, refined shift quality and improved fuel economy.
AWD Keeps All Four Wheels Planted
Dodge Journey SXT and R/T models sold in the United States and Canada equipped with a 3.5-liter V-6 engine also offer AWD capability. Journey`s all-wheel-drive system works on demand, driving only the front wheels until power to the rear wheels is needed. AWD also is used on dry pavement between speeds of 25 and 65 mph (40-105 km/h) to enhance handling during performance driving. This system provides added traction on snow, ice and other low-traction surfaces without having to be switched on and off.
Engineered to a High Safety Standard
From its high-strength structure to its active safety systems, Dodge Journey is designed and engineered to keep its occupants safe and secure. Standard safety equipment includes:
• Advanced Multi-stage Front Air Bags provide nearly instantaneous occupant protection by matching air bag output to crash severity
• Low-risk Deployment Air Bags are included for smaller and out-of-position occupants
• Front Seat-mounted Side Air Bags deploy for enhanced thorax protection during a side impact
• Supplemental Side Air Bag Inflatable Curtains with Extended Up Time deploy down to provide all three rows vehicle occupant head protection during side impact
• Structural Driver and Front Passenger Knee Bolsters control occupant kinematics and reduce leg loads
• Available Child Booster Seats for children 4 foot 9 inches (1.45 m) tall and between 48 lbs. (22 kg) and 85 lbs. (39kg) raise the child into the adult belted zone
• Anti-lock brakes (ABS) modulate the brakes for the driver to provide steering control while braking
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP) applies selective braking or throttle reduction to control oversteer and understeer
• Brake Assist ensures maximum braking action during panic stops
• Traction Control reduces the throttle and/or applies selective braking to optimize traction during acceleration
• Electronic Roll Mitigation determines when the vehicle is in a potential roll over condition and applies appropriate braking force to reduce the likelihood that such an event will occur
• Rollover Sensing deploys seat-mounted side air bags, side-curtain air bags and seat-belt pretensioners
• Trailer Sway Control helps maintain vehicle and trailer system stability by applying selective braking
• Event Data Recorder records the nature of a malfunction or impact event for retrieval using a service diagnostic tool
• Available ParkView™ Rear Backup Camera displays the view behind the vehicle in the navigation display when backing up or parking
• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) alerts drivers to low tire pressure(s) to facilitate safe handling
• Brake-park Interlock prevents automatic transaxle from being shifted out of Park or Neutral without first applying brakes
• Side Guard Door Beams in front and rear doors provide occupant protection in the event of a side impact
With a U.S. market share of 6 percent, Dodge is the best-selling brand for Chrysler and the fifth largest nameplate in the U.S. automotive market. In 2006, Dodge sold more than 1.3 million vehicles in the global market. Dodge continues to lead the minivan market with a 20 percent market share in the U.S. In the highly competitive truck market, Dodge has a 15 percent market share.
Caliber spearheaded the Dodge brand`s expansion to Europe and other international volume markets in 2006, followed by the Nitro and Avenger in 2007. By adding the Dodge brand to its international portfolio, Chrysler aims to achieve 1.4 percent market share in Western Europe by 2009 -- more than doubling the company`s share compared with 2005. With continued strong sales, Dodge could account for approximately 30 percent of sales for Chrysler outside North America by the end of 2009.
|Latest||Cars & News|
|2018 Buick Enclave review|
|2017 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty review|
|2015 Audi A8 L Chauffeur review|
|2015 McLaren P1 by MSO review|
|2015 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe review|
|2020 Porsche Macan GTS comes to fill Macan S and Macan Turbo range|
|Suzuki Jimny is set to get competition from Jeep|
|Toyota Highlander will be available in petrol only or hybrid powertrain|
|Skoda Rapid facelift was unveiled in Russia|
|McLaren 620R is the limited edition street version of the 570S GT4|